So I am going to try to write this entry so that my mother can understand the importance of the following article.

First... some definitions (well I think I will use analogies):
A protocol is like a language.
  Analogy Don can understand the words that Lois is speaking because they both speak the same language
  substitution Don's cell phone can understand messages that Lois's cell phone are sending because they both use the same protocol

Wireless communication is like radio communication
  Analogy I am able to listen to the radio because a radio station transmits signals over a set frequency and my radio has a receiver that listens on that frequency (I have a range of frequencies that I can choose from). The radio receiver has to also translate the signals into sounds (songs, talk radio, etc)
  substitution My cell phone is able to communicate with other nearby cell phones because the other cell phones transmit signals over a set frequency and my cell phone has a receiver that listens on that frequency (it listens on only one frequency per protocol). My cell phone has to also translate the signals into displayable text and instructions ("You are currently in my area... I am looking to sell a washing machine" or an instruction to the owner of the cell phone, like inform owner that a profile of a potential friend is available if they would like to check it out)

Given those two things and knowing that Bluetooth can be considered a protocol here is an article about a new service in Singapore that allows your cell phone to notify you of strangers in your proximity that are looking for friends or have something that they would like to sell or purchase.